Thursday 13 May 2010

FRIDAY 14th MAY 2010 06:55(BST)

THIS DAY IN WW2 (14.5.40)
On the Western Front... After a surrender demand has been submitted but before it has expired, Rotterdam is very heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe. The Dutch Commander in Chief, General Winkelmans, decides that he must surrender. Meanwhile, German armour pours across the Meuse River at Sedan and Dinant. French tank units in both areas, but especially at Sedan fail to put in any concerted counterattacks and are brushed aside. There are considerable air attacks on the German bridgeheads by both British and French bombers. Many of the attacking planes are shot down. Once across the river the Germans drive west, cutting a huge gap between the French 9th Army (Corap) and 2nd Army (Huntziger) -- which has no orders on which way to retreat.

Britain... Recruiting begins for a volunteer home-defense force from men in reserve occupations or too old or young for military service. This force is to be called the Local Defence Volunteers. In July the far more effective title of Home Guard is chosen.

Off Norway... A transport carrying a large part of the British 24th Guards Brigade to join the holding forces south of Narvik is bombed and sunk by the Germans. Much equipment is lost.

TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging and some prep for PRONET and my seminar before a metting at Bradford GRID then all-domestic.

TODAY'S THOUGHT
The power of belief lies not in the object believed but in the belief itself.

TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
The more I give something my attention, the less life distracts me from it.

TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
When you are thwarted, do you sit thinking "Grr! I'm thwarted!" Or do you think "What is the best thing I can do right now?"

TODAY'S ONELINER
I've never met a chocolate I didn't like : D

GARY'S 100 CLASSIC ALBUMS YOU MUST OWN No.29
THE CULT - For Lovers, Rockers, Ravers and Sinners
One of those rare compilations that genuinely reflect the best work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raql_Hh_NmU

TRIVIA
The box jellyfish has eyes as good as ours but no brain.

TODAY'S AFFIRMATION
Today I will keep my attention firmly fixed on my intentions not distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment